Friday, July 28, 2006

Double Whammy: Poor and Old in Japan

Nothing is more bitter than getting old with half empty pocket, espcially if you live in Japan, where the average life span for men is 87, and for women even longer, and whose enough, living in Tokyo, where the cost of living is the highest in the world.

Washington Post article tackles the problem, one Japanese men featured is Kakizaki, who lives on $625 dollars a month in Tokyo.

Mr. Kakizaki, 73 years old, told to the reporter, "I can't afford transportation, film for my camera or the photo-developing fees for such trips any more. the photso care all I have left. I can barely afford to fee myself now."

Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi's pension reform has reduced the government checks Mr. Kakizaki received every month, from $826 to $625.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really feel sad for those who are being left out when they get old. Do politicians have heart? God bless those poor people.

 
Share |